Happy New Year! Wow, it is hard to believe that another year has passed. New Year’s Eve is a night that is filled with parties, good food, champagne and toasting to a new year with family and friends. For others it is a quiet and relaxing night at home playing board games, enjoying a relaxing dinner and perhaps watching a movie watching the clock and wondering if midnight will ever come. And for some it is a night that is overrated and nothing more than a close to one year as another one begins.
Regardless of what New Year’s Eve might mean to you, people often find themselves reflecting on the past year and about themselves. Perhaps it was a difficult year and you find yourself hoping and praying that 2016 will ring in with the promise of better days ahead. Perhaps it was a year that brought the loss of a job, tough financial times or an unexpected move. Perhaps 2015 led to the end of a relationship, illness or sadly, the loss of a loved one. Certainly, the world experienced universal tragedy this past year and unfortunately, more than once. Yes…as any one of us reflect and ponder the past year, it will undoubtedly include some things that were tough, stressful or tragic and yes, the past year can sometimes feel like it was a bit of a mess.
With that being said, New Year’s Eve is also a time to celebrate and to reflect on all of the good things in our lives and in the world. It is a time of hope as we close one year and welcome in the next. New Year’s Eve is a time for new beginnings and a time to clear the slate or start over. It is a time to look deep within about who we are and who we would like to be. It is a time to recognize those things that have caused us issues in the past and those things that we want to change.
Clearly, there will be many things that happen in 2016 that are out of our control and there are no guarantees that the incoming year will not have its challenges but the new year is also a great opportunity to explore and focus on those things that we can control and that we truly want to change. That is exciting and how awesome that we can ring in the new year confident that we are blessed with the gift of opportunity and that most things that we want to change come down to one very important thing; personal choice.
Change is not always easy but if you want something bad enough it is possible. I truly believe that anyone can change and regardless of the past. So….whether you have big plans on this New Year’s Eve or you are choosing to spend it quietly at home I would encourage you to do one thing. Well maybe a couple of things…..
- Look deep within and think hard about those things that have caused you stress, unhappiness or regret this past year.
- If there are things that you want to change or need to change, make the decision to find ways to make it happen in 2016.
- Love yourself and respect yourself in 2016.
- Forgive yourself and forgive others.
- Find those things in your life that are good and be grateful. There is always something to be thankful for.
- Try to get rid of negativity or those negative things in your life. A positive attitude makes all the difference in the world.
- Give to others as much as you can. To give is a gift.
- Be kind every day.
- As you reflect on 2015, remember that it does not have to define you. Instead learn, grow and embrace whatever wisdom it gave you.
My wish for all of you as I welcome in the New Year is that your 2016 will be filled with much love, joy and peace. Life is never perfect for any of us and while it is impossible to know what tomorrow will bring, it is possible to live your best life in the moment and to make the most out of every day you are blessed with. Happy New Year!