Life isn’t fair. How many times have you heard those three words and how many times have you wanted to scream when you did? I know I have. Like I really want to hear that life isn’t fair when I am right smack in the middle of a crisis and feeling a bit sorry for myself. This is not my first rodeo folks and yea, I’m well aware LIFE ISN’T FAIR.
So now that we have established that life is absolutely not fair, the million dollar question is, what are we going to do about it? Unfortunately the difficulties in life are prejudice to no one and we all have bad days and crud to wade through. There will be those days when it feels like life is out to get us and the cards are stacked against us. Ugh.
While I would like to fill these pages with awesome advice and loads of wisdom, it is easier said than done to rise above and walk away unscarred when shit hits the fan. The difficulties we all will sometimes encounter can leave us feeling exhausted, overwhelmed and struggling to just breathe. But that is where the fight begins. We need to remember to BREATHE.
It isn’t easy to keep fighting when we feel beat up and knocked down but there are things that we need to try and remember even when life is hard.
- Don’t give up hope. Regardless of how bad things might feel, there is always hope. Without it, we have very little to hang on to.
- It is when we have fallen that it is more important than ever to get back up. You are far stronger than you realize.
- Life is not always going to be fair but remember that it is not always what happens to us but what we do with what happens to us.
- Stop expecting life to be easy. Sometimes it is because of the tough stuff that we grow and learn how to survive.
- Even on your worst day, there is always tomorrow and a chance to start over, reset and make it a better day.
- Be kind to yourself and make sure you are taking the time needed to recharge and take care of YOU when you are feeling bad.
- Surround yourself with people you love and let others help out when needed. It’s ok to ask for help once in a while.
- Allow yourself to grieve, cry and yes, feel sorry for yourself if you need. It’s OK.
- Remember that someone always has it worse. That is not meant to minimize what you are going through but to keep perspective.
- Reboot your heart and your brain. When you are feeling down take the time to do those things that you love and that you are passionate about. Perhaps it is watching an inspirational movie, reading a good book, listening to your favorite music, shopping or exercising. Whatever it might be, do it.
- Give to others. Volunteering and gifts of service will feel good and it is a gift to others but also to yourself.
- Love. Love. Love. Love. There can never be too much love, EVER.
Life isn’t always fair and I’m not going to try to tell you that it is but it is my hope that all of you will hold hope in your hearts and remember that even when things seem the darkest, the sun does eventually reappear and shine. And so it is with life. A new day will emerge and the sun will once again shine.