There are three words that hold a lot of power. It’s too late. I hate those three words. These words are dream stealers, energy drains and hope crushers. Who wants to hear it’s too late EVER? Yet people hear it far too often and sadly, they accept these words to be true.
I’m here to remind you that it is not too late. It is not too late to find happiness. It is not too late to live a better life. It is not too late to find your purpose. It is not too late to do some of the things you are passionate about. It is not too late to be kind, to help others or to give more. It is not too late to say I love you today or to offer a few more hugs. And…it is NOT too late to change.
Granted, we all have things in our lives that have happened in the past and that we cannot change nor is there a magical reset button that will blast us back to the past to enjoy a full-blown “do-over”. That can be hard to accept and yes, those are the things that it is perhaps too late to change but before you let that completely derail you it is incredibly important to remember a few things.
- The past does NOT define who you are today.
- Living in the past and not letting it go will keep you stuck there. It stands in the way of moving forward and living your best life.
- There may be things that happened in the past that it is “too late” to change but that does not mean you cannot do things to change today and to improve your life for tomorrow.
- While there will always be things that happened in the past that you regret and mistakes that were made, remember that it is often the mistakes made that help us to learn, grow and become better people.
- Mistakes shine light on who we hope to become and more importantly who we no longer want to be.
- Today is a new day and it is a perfect day to forgive yourself and to take that first step towards change.
So many of us get wrapped up in the past and we live life every day drowning in regret, overwhelmed by guilt and shame. That is a sad way to live. I have been there. It took me a very long time to recognize that there was wisdom in my wounds and that if I could find a way to forgive myself and others that I could open up a new door to life. It was not too late to change and once I walked through that door, life became better and bigger and bolder than I could ever have imagined.
I’m not going to lie. Change is REALLY HARD. But it is so worth it. I am a firm believer that anyone can change regardless of their age and regardless of their past. People change every day. People improve their lives every day. People find happiness and make their dreams come true every day. It is not easy. It takes grit, discipline and commitment. Change requires one to be brave and sometimes courageous. Change requires facing fears, being brutally honest with who you are and finding the strength to do whatever it takes to become the person you have always wanted to be.
I get it. I know all too well how hard it can be. I remember clearly how we can have the best of intentions and want to change but for some reason and with a whole lot of excuses we somehow fall short. I was the queen of excuses and blame. Trust me when I say that I still have things I need to change. It is an ongoing battle and we as humans are constantly evolving. The question is….are you ready to put on your armor and walk on to the battle field prepared to fight for you?
If you are ready and willing there are a few key things to remember.
- The first step to anything is self awareness. You must first be aware of those things that you need to change before you can change them.
- The second thing is to accept it. We spend much of our lives sleep-walking and choosing to ignore so much of what is going wrong. We don’t want to accept or believe that we sometimes fall short or need to change ourselves. If you need to change, accept it and move on.
- A third and important step is to make a personal commitment to making the change. If you truly do not want to change, are not ready to change or if you are doing it for the wrong reasons or for everyone else, you will be climbing a very steep mountain and will fall before you begin. Do it for YOU.
- Make sure you know and understand the WHY behind the changes you want to make. Identifying the WHY brings clarity, provides motivation and can light a fire beneath even the most difficult things we need to change. Find your WHY.
- Lastly, be gentle and kind with yourself. Change is hard. It takes time. Set realistic expectations. Remember that there will be difficult days and yes, some days you might fall. That is OK. You have the strength to get back up, brush yourself off and try again. You CAN do this if you believe and want it bad enough.
There are so many things that I could write about change and different steps to take but at the end of the day, change is personal and it has to come from your heart. You are the only one that can make the decision on if you are ready to do what it takes. For a very long time I did not love and respect myself enough to change some things that were causing me a great deal of pain and those things were standing in the way of happiness and living a peace filled life. I could say that I wasted a lot of precious time but instead I am choosing to say that it was NOT too late and I am so thankful that I made the choice to change when I did.
You have a choice. Choose to get out of your own way and find the happiness you want and deserve. It doesn’t matter what it is that you need or want to change. You have the power to do it. It is NOT too late. Today is a new day. Choose well.
In Peace and with Love,